"Rock has always been the Devil's music. You can't convince me that it isn't"
- David Bowie, 1976
"Only the watchdogs can hear the whistleblowers"
- D'artagnan Bingemunkle, 1874
Rock the eff on.
As the Rolling Stones "50 and Counting" tour grinds into gear, one cannot help wonder what the average age of today's Rolling Stones ticket buyer is. The Stones were spawned in a wilder musical era, when young people at least had the illusion th... [Read more]
I have a confession to make: You'll find the radio presets in my car tuned to an assortment of NPR stations (going over a hill in rural Connecticut usually results in the loss of reception) and my Pandora account is heavily weighted toward music recorded prior to 1980. So, what the heck am I doing working for a site dedicated to providing opportunities to see the latest, greatest, most popular entertainment? [Read more]
Rolling Stones 50 and Counting tour dates kick-off in just under a week for what could possibly be their last tour ever. Though it seemed a foregone conclusion that Mick, Keith, Charlie and Ronnie would hit the road again for the band’s 50th anniversary, it really is no small feat for a group ranging in age from 65 to 71 years old to mount a tour and muster the energy to entertain audiences numbering in the thousands for two hours or more at a clip. During a promotional video for the tour, Cha... [Read more]
Album Title: Free the Universe
Release Date: April 16
Due to artistic differences, Major Lazer producers Diplo and Switch have parted ways leaving Diplo alone to pilot the mainstream reggae revival currently underway. Diplo’s manager told Billboard that he’d like the audience to see Major Lazer as a band or crew. Whether or not the album’s featured artists will perform on Free the Universe tour dates is still up on the air, but appearances by Santigold, Amber of Dirty Proje... [Read more]
76. Iraq Lobster - Do you love "Rock Lobster" but wish there were more? Peter's got you covered. "Death to America / And butter sauce / Don't boil me / I'm still alive / Iraq lobster! / Iraq lobster!" | Episode #168: "Screams of Silence: The Story of Brenda Q." (Season 10, Episode 3)
77. I Don't Want to Wait - Hey, we've all sung made-up lyrics before: "I don't want to wait / For my lunch to get colder / Da-da-da-da / Why can't I eat it now? / I don't want to wait / For, ha ha, new Toyota / I w... [Read more]
Justin Timberlake and Jay Z announced they are planning a “Suit and Tie”-themed amusement park in the wake of their collaboration on Timberlake’s comeback single. Although it was dismissed as “banal” and “porny” by some critics, “Suit and Tie” went on to have the highest first-week plays total in pop chart history and became one of Timberlake’s highest-selling singles. Following their success with the single along with impressive ticket sales for their Legends of the Summer tour, the theme pa... [Read more]
51. It's a Wonderful Day For Pie - Who says Family Guy isn't appropriate for children? This is just plain old, family-friendly, anti-Semitic, Disney-style fun. | Episode #127: "Road to the Multiverse" (Season 8, Episode 1)
52. Take On Me - One of those "What the f$@&?" moments that made Family Guy what it is today. It incorporates many signature FamGuy gag features: music, an '80s cultural reference, and an altered animation style. | Episode #59: "Breaking Out is Hard to Do" (Season 4, Episode ... [Read more]
Photo by Paulespo at en.wikipedia
When tickets for an Atoms for Peace DJ set went on sale, it was hard to be sure exactly what that meant. In typically cryptic fashion, lead man Thom Yorke tweeted:
Me & Nigel out & about with two turntables & a microphone - London 22feb, Berlin 8march, NY 14march. special guests & location to follow..— Thom Yorke (@thomyorke) February 4, 2013
It's an obvious and commonly known fact that among all of the professions in the world today, one of the most lucrative of them all (and most passionately sought after) is a successful musician or rock star. And the word "rock" is sort of a catchall phrase here: any multi-million album-selling musician of any genre is poised to make a real fortune. But while you would think a musician's riches comes mainly from the record deal, album sales, and perhaps concerts, appearances and endorsements, the... [Read more]
26. Establishment - Not sure Stewie quite got the spirit of Woodstock: "Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best...Learn the rules!" | Episode #65: "Brian Goes Back to College" (Season 4, Episode 15)
27. I Like Farts - New Brian knows that Peter is a man of simple taste: "I don't like fancy learnin' books / I don't like apple tarts / I don't like cozy breakfast nooks / I don't like modern art... / Well I like farts!" | Episode #115: "The Man with Two Brians" (Season 7, Episode ... [Read more]