Video Still from "Picasso Baby: A Performance Art Film", Jay Z and Mark Romanek, 2013
For many of us who have not yet been adopted by the New York City art world we wondered who was the intense-looking lady in black pressed up against Jay Z’s forehead in the performance art film for "Picasso Baby"? She showed up again in Lady Gaga’s NSFW alternative medicine/rehab video promo for Gaga’s new album sitting opposite the Fame Monster herself. To say Abramović is having a moment is redundant. Abr... [Read more]
It would stink if it wasn't for charity.
When I dragged myself from my pit this morning, the only thing on my mind was a Spaniard who has been teasing me for weeks. His name is Cesc Fabregas, and he plays football - sorry, soccer - for FC Barcelona. Over the past month there have been rumors flying around, to the effect that Fabregas is going to sign for Manchester United, the team I love. Unfortunately, any substance that might propel these rumors into the land of the possible are unforthcomi... [Read more]
It all sounds incredibly appealing. In February, when you’re freezing your tukas off and yearning for the smell of fresh cut grass. But on a hot, humid, airless day in mid-July, the reality might not live up to the fantasy. [Read more]
The Artist Formerly Known as "WTF Are You Lookin' At?", yesterday...
Today, as the stampede begins to buy Beyoncé tour tickets and find tickets to the Jay-Z "Legends of Summer" tour, there's a lurking suspicion that the artist formerly known as Beyoncé Giselle Knowles and her husband, the artist formerly known as Shawn Corey Carter, might be involved in some cloak and dagger stuff. The glowing duo recently vacationed on the island of Cuba, home to one of America's bitterest enemi... [Read more]
Orlando, Florida is one of the hottest vacation spots in the country. Having just gotten back from a week-and-a-half-long trip there, I am happy to have been able to see and do so much in the major theme parks that attract so many visitors there each year. But now that I am home, I find myself reflecting and looking back at experiences that have become memories.
As a theatre fan, I was excited to see what live shows I could take in while making my way through the parks, especially since many of... [Read more]
"Rock has always been the Devil's music. You can't convince me that it isn't"
- David Bowie, 1976
"Only the watchdogs can hear the whistleblowers"
- D'artagnan Bingemunkle, 1874
Rock the eff on.
As the Rolling Stones "50 and Counting" tour grinds into gear, one cannot help wonder what the average age of today's Rolling Stones ticket buyer is. The Stones were spawned in a wilder musical era, when young people at least had the illusion th... [Read more]
I have a confession to make: You'll find the radio presets in my car tuned to an assortment of NPR stations (going over a hill in rural Connecticut usually results in the loss of reception) and my Pandora account is heavily weighted toward music recorded prior to 1980. So, what the heck am I doing working for a site dedicated to providing opportunities to see the latest, greatest, most popular entertainment? [Read more]
Album Title: Free the Universe
Release Date: April 16
Due to artistic differences, Major Lazer producers Diplo and Switch have parted ways leaving Diplo alone to pilot the mainstream reggae revival currently underway. Diplo’s manager told Billboard that he’d like the audience to see Major Lazer as a band or crew. Whether or not the album’s featured artists will perform on Free the Universe tour dates is still up on the air, but appearances by Santigold, Amber of Dirty Proje... [Read more]
76. Iraq Lobster - Do you love "Rock Lobster" but wish there were more? Peter's got you covered. "Death to America / And butter sauce / Don't boil me / I'm still alive / Iraq lobster! / Iraq lobster!" | Episode #168: "Screams of Silence: The Story of Brenda Q." (Season 10, Episode 3)
77. I Don't Want to Wait - Hey, we've all sung made-up lyrics before: "I don't want to wait / For my lunch to get colder / Da-da-da-da / Why can't I eat it now? / I don't want to wait / For, ha ha, new Toyota / I w... [Read more]
51. It's a Wonderful Day For Pie - Who says Family Guy isn't appropriate for children? This is just plain old, family-friendly, anti-Semitic, Disney-style fun. | Episode #127: "Road to the Multiverse" (Season 8, Episode 1)
52. Take On Me - One of those "What the f$@&?" moments that made Family Guy what it is today. It incorporates many signature FamGuy gag features: music, an '80s cultural reference, and an altered animation style. | Episode #59: "Breaking Out is Hard to Do" (Season 4, Episode ... [Read more]