With two weeks left in Banksy’s New York residency, his whimsical hit pieces on Ronald McDonald, war and factory farming have exposed long-standing divisions among the Big Apple residents who don’t know what is a Banksy, the people who cheer the Banksy and the forces that wish to condemn and destroy it.
Since the early 90s, the individual or collective known as Banksy has both delighted and irked fans and detractors with his (their?) subversive graffiti, sculptures and messaging. The “Ano... [Read more]
Miley Cyrus' recent episode of SNL began with the obligatory acknowledgement of what makes her relevant enough to host the show: her teddy-bear-, tongue-, and twerk-tastic performance on the MTV Video Music Awards and the outrage that followed. In a post-apocalyptic vision, the incident is compared to the government shutdown and the advent of Obamacare, which we wish were much more significant than a pop star's televised gyrations, but that's another discussion altogether.
All is not lost
But ... [Read more]
I don't include groups like The Beatles (then) or The Jonas Brothers (now) in the list of boy bands, because they are actual bands. Boy bands have bands. Other than a little ceremonial guitar strumming or keyboard tapping, these guys arrange themselves in front of a group of nameless musicians and just 1)sing, 2)dance and 3)look good. [Read more]
"Rock has always been the Devil's music. You can't convince me that it isn't"
- David Bowie, 1976
"Only the watchdogs can hear the whistleblowers"
- D'artagnan Bingemunkle, 1874
Rock the eff on.
As the Rolling Stones "50 and Counting" tour grinds into gear, one cannot help wonder what the average age of today's Rolling Stones ticket buyer is. The Stones were spawned in a wilder musical era, when young people at least had the illusion th... [Read more]
76. Iraq Lobster - Do you love "Rock Lobster" but wish there were more? Peter's got you covered. "Death to America / And butter sauce / Don't boil me / I'm still alive / Iraq lobster! / Iraq lobster!" | Episode #168: "Screams of Silence: The Story of Brenda Q." (Season 10, Episode 3)
77. I Don't Want to Wait - Hey, we've all sung made-up lyrics before: "I don't want to wait / For my lunch to get colder / Da-da-da-da / Why can't I eat it now? / I don't want to wait / For, ha ha, new Toyota / I w... [Read more]
51. It's a Wonderful Day For Pie - Who says Family Guy isn't appropriate for children? This is just plain old, family-friendly, anti-Semitic, Disney-style fun. | Episode #127: "Road to the Multiverse" (Season 8, Episode 1)
52. Take On Me - One of those "What the f$@&?" moments that made Family Guy what it is today. It incorporates many signature FamGuy gag features: music, an '80s cultural reference, and an altered animation style. | Episode #59: "Breaking Out is Hard to Do" (Season 4, Episode ... [Read more]
26. Establishment - Not sure Stewie quite got the spirit of Woodstock: "Establishment, establishment, you always know what's best...Learn the rules!" | Episode #65: "Brian Goes Back to College" (Season 4, Episode 15)
27. I Like Farts - New Brian knows that Peter is a man of simple taste: "I don't like fancy learnin' books / I don't like apple tarts / I don't like cozy breakfast nooks / I don't like modern art... / Well I like farts!" | Episode #115: "The Man with Two Brians" (Season 7, Episode ... [Read more]
1. Will Smith Nice Clean Rap - Hip-hop's hardest gangsta: "Whoo! Ha-ha! I respect women when I'm on a date / I take 'em to the park or maybe a museum / And I only try to kiss 'em if they're ready / Whoo-hoo! What, what, what?" | Episode #106: "McStroke" (Season 6, Episode 8)
2. Fatty's in a Little Jam - Love 'em or hate 'em, Vern and Johnny are true showmen; they know the show must go on: "Fatty's in a...Oh, now, how the whiz-bang does the rest of it go? Quick! Make something up!" | Episode #68... [Read more]
Now I’m not saying that I’m some kind of Nostradamus or something, since I have a pretty unpredictable track record with predictions. After all, even though I predicted that the Facebook IPO would be a train wreck, I also predicted that Peyton Manning would be signed by the New York Jets (who knew they would sign a third-string quarterback instead!) However, that didn’t stop me from making 13 predictions for this two thousand and thirteenth year after the death of Christ. From Twinkies to Lanc... [Read more]
Scientists are sexy and lead extremely vigorous lives.
We live in chaotic times, zany times, whacky times, and nothing's whackier than science, is it? In tribute to the amazing scientific breakthroughs of 2012 I decided to do some research into what we can expect to see next year from the bionic boffins and energetic eggheads who make this world the place it is. Here are 10 amazing scientific innovations that will become a reality in 2013!