Last year’s Super Bowl Halftime Show caused a bit of an uproar when it was revealed that the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ instruments weren’t plugged in. It was somehow more scandalous because we associate lip syncing strictly with singers, so the confession that the musicians were now also faking their guitar parts was a pretty big letdown, especially for a band like the Chili Peppers who pride themselves on playing “our guts out live onstage for anyone who wants to get their brains blown out.”
The ... [Read more]
The Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots will meet in Super Bowl XLIX. [Read more]
Ticket Liquidator's JP Starkey looks back at his predictions for the 10 most popular games of the 2014 season, comparing his predictions to data from Ticket Network's First-Day Sales report. [Read more]
When I'm asked whether I want to have a party for the Big Game, I'm usually pretty torn. I enjoy hanging out with friends and family, and I sure enjoy eating, but I would almost rather watch nothing than have football on the TV. I don't actively dislike football--I just don't care. The more I think about it, though, the more attractive the idea becomes. Whether or not you're into what's happening on the field, throwing a little shindig could just be in your best interest. Here's why:
Why a Big ... [Read more]
5. M.I.A. at the Superbowl
Some of us had a good year, some of us had a bad year, and some of us got upstaged at the Super Bowl when M.I.A. flipped the bird in the middle of our set. Madonna falls solidly into that last category. In the endless string of calculations that Madge’s career has become, her secret cadre of Kabbalah oracles couldn’t possibly have predicted that M.I.A. of all people would take the opportunity to make a statement on the world’s largest stage. Except, there she is in ... [Read more]
(or A Superbowl/Grammy Post-Mortem on How Nicki Minaj Managed to Sidestep America’s Parochial Sensibilities to Grab the Freak Baton from Madonna)
In the midst of Madonna’s Super Bowl Halftime performance which at different times honored the Babylonian goddess Ishtar, the pagan deity Baphomet, football, America, gospel and of course L-U-V Madonna herself, Nicki Minaj stood off to the side shaking her ass and her pom-poms, doing “The Bump” with Madonna when appropriate and generally following the... [Read more]
Bird is the word...paws up...let's get ramblin'...
• The plot thickened when news surfaced that Super Bowl bird-flipper M.I.A. has been estranged from her fiancé, heir to the Seagram’s fortune Benjamin Bronfman, and her two-year-old son Ikhyd for six months.
• Steve Carrell and Keira Knightley star in this new movie about the end of the world, a comedy version of Children of Men:
• Apple, which at different points in its history borrowed money from Intel and Bill Gates, is no... [Read more]
Material girlz...Homerleaks...prison rules...
• Madonna took the whole Super Bowl thing quite literally in this video for the first single from her new album. Doing things like using her Super Bowl money to hire two of the biggest hype women in the game is why Madonna is still relevant.
• Lizzie Grant a.k.a. Lana Del Rey put all the haters to rest by topping the iTunes charts with her debut album Born to Die.
• All in the same week reports came in that future Hall of Fame q... [Read more]
There are few things are as ridiculous as the phrase "I only watch the Super Bowl for the commercials." It's like saying I only go to Disneyland for the lines, I only fly for the crying babies, I only go to concerts to step in vomit. [Read more]