10. M.I.A. – Bad Girls
Even though this song came out in a different version in 2010, and again last year, it was featured one more time on M.I.A.’s 2013 album Matangi and is still one of the best songs of the year with maybe one of the best videos ever. That’s high praise for someone currently embroiled in a legal dispute for flipping off the entire world during the Super Bowl, but that’s what bad girls do (and they do it well).
Src: 2013 © M.I.A. via YouTube
9. Vampire Weekend - Step
... [Read more]
Atoms for Peace: Amok
Release Date: February 25
Back in 2006, Radiohead lead singer Thom Yorke did what lead singers do, he wrote a solo record and called it The Eraser. True to his own words on a Radiohead fan site (“I don’t wanna hear the word solo”), Yorke went out and formed a supergroup to translate the electronic-leaning album for live performances. Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich, Beck’s drummer Joey Waronker and Brazilian percussionist Mauro Reosco... [Read more]
5. M.I.A. at the Superbowl
Some of us had a good year, some of us had a bad year, and some of us got upstaged at the Super Bowl when M.I.A. flipped the bird in the middle of our set. Madonna falls solidly into that last category. In the endless string of calculations that Madge’s career has become, her secret cadre of Kabbalah oracles couldn’t possibly have predicted that M.I.A. of all people would take the opportunity to make a statement on the world’s largest stage. Except, there she is in ... [Read more]
Behind the record industry and the endlessly grinding gears of the hit factory stand an elite group of individuals who are responsible for churning out the latest, greatest pop music the world has ever known. The Darwinian process that sees songs made or broken by a fickle public with millions of dollars at stake ensures the survival of only the fittest, but there are a select few who transcend the zeitgeist and end up defining the sound of a given moment. They aren’t always the biggest seller... [Read more]
(or A Superbowl/Grammy Post-Mortem on How Nicki Minaj Managed to Sidestep America’s Parochial Sensibilities to Grab the Freak Baton from Madonna)
In the midst of Madonna’s Super Bowl Halftime performance which at different times honored the Babylonian goddess Ishtar, the pagan deity Baphomet, football, America, gospel and of course L-U-V Madonna herself, Nicki Minaj stood off to the side shaking her ass and her pom-poms, doing “The Bump” with Madonna when appropriate and generally following the... [Read more]
Bird is the word...paws up...let's get ramblin'...
• The plot thickened when news surfaced that Super Bowl bird-flipper M.I.A. has been estranged from her fiancé, heir to the Seagram’s fortune Benjamin Bronfman, and her two-year-old son Ikhyd for six months.
• Steve Carrell and Keira Knightley star in this new movie about the end of the world, a comedy version of Children of Men:
• Apple, which at different points in its history borrowed money from Intel and Bill Gates, is no... [Read more]
Material girlz...Homerleaks...prison rules...
• Madonna took the whole Super Bowl thing quite literally in this video for the first single from her new album. Doing things like using her Super Bowl money to hire two of the biggest hype women in the game is why Madonna is still relevant.
• Lizzie Grant a.k.a. Lana Del Rey put all the haters to rest by topping the iTunes charts with her debut album Born to Die.
• All in the same week reports came in that future Hall of Fame q... [Read more]
LiLo’s race to nowhere…Tom Cruise feels the need for speed…Yoko's war on Christmas…
• The film gods are at it again. Eddie Murphy has been tapped to play DC’s former Scarface-like mayor Marion Barry in an upcoming Spike Lee biopic.
• Lindsay Lohan upped her trash-ante by appearing in Playboy this week. Unfortunately the leaked spreads were deemed not smutty enough by the Internet.
• Tom Cruise announced a sequel to Top Gun. Goose is still dead.
• Trainspotting director D... [Read more]