Album Title: Free the Universe
Release Date: April 16
Due to artistic differences, Major Lazer producers Diplo and Switch have parted ways leaving Diplo alone to pilot the mainstream reggae revival currently underway. Diplo’s manager told Billboard that he’d like the audience to see Major Lazer as a band or crew. Whether or not the album’s featured artists will perform on Free the Universe tour dates is still up on the air, but appearances by Santigold, Amber of Dirty Proje... [Read more]
Justin Timberlake and Jay Z announced they are planning a “Suit and Tie”-themed amusement park in the wake of their collaboration on Timberlake’s comeback single. Although it was dismissed as “banal” and “porny” by some critics, “Suit and Tie” went on to have the highest first-week plays total in pop chart history and became one of Timberlake’s highest-selling singles. Following their success with the single along with impressive ticket sales for their Legends of the Summer tour, the theme pa... [Read more]
It's an obvious and commonly known fact that among all of the professions in the world today, one of the most lucrative of them all (and most passionately sought after) is a successful musician or rock star. And the word "rock" is sort of a catchall phrase here: any multi-million album-selling musician of any genre is poised to make a real fortune. But while you would think a musician's riches comes mainly from the record deal, album sales, and perhaps concerts, appearances and endorsements, the... [Read more]
5. M.I.A. at the Superbowl
Some of us had a good year, some of us had a bad year, and some of us got upstaged at the Super Bowl when M.I.A. flipped the bird in the middle of our set. Madonna falls solidly into that last category. In the endless string of calculations that Madge’s career has become, her secret cadre of Kabbalah oracles couldn’t possibly have predicted that M.I.A. of all people would take the opportunity to make a statement on the world’s largest stage. Except, there she is in ... [Read more]
Behind the record industry and the endlessly grinding gears of the hit factory stand an elite group of individuals who are responsible for churning out the latest, greatest pop music the world has ever known. The Darwinian process that sees songs made or broken by a fickle public with millions of dollars at stake ensures the survival of only the fittest, but there are a select few who transcend the zeitgeist and end up defining the sound of a given moment. They aren’t always the biggest seller... [Read more]
Bird is the word...paws up...let's get ramblin'...
• The plot thickened when news surfaced that Super Bowl bird-flipper M.I.A. has been estranged from her fiancé, heir to the Seagram’s fortune Benjamin Bronfman, and her two-year-old son Ikhyd for six months.
• Steve Carrell and Keira Knightley star in this new movie about the end of the world, a comedy version of Children of Men:
• Apple, which at different points in its history borrowed money from Intel and Bill Gates, is no... [Read more]
Memoirs from Iron City...Draper returns...baby blues...
• Lil Wayne will release a memoir of his time in protective custody at Riker’s Island titled Gone Till November. Described as an internal monologue, Wayne’s personal diaries document his time on the inside without the sizzurp.
• The Velvet Underground sued the Andy Warhol Foundation for licensing the iconic banana image Warhol designed for their first album.
• For $40 a month or $500 for lifetime use, Appifier can turn ... [Read more]
Living the thug life at Georgetown…Kanye sings the blues…the future looks thirsty…
• Georgetown University is offering a class on Jay-Z to lecture students on the intricacies of balling so hard, putting supermodels in the cab and moving freebase.
• Grammy award front-runner Kanye West lamented that he wasn’t nominated for Best Album and blamed it on putting out two albums in the same year. In a behind-the-scenes video ‘Ye also ruminated about world leaders who were affected by h... [Read more]
Lindsay Lohan has it locked up…ugly sweaters rule…Tyson channels Cain…
• Rather than go on a second night in a row hopped up on steroids and antibiotics, “black James Taylor” Frank Ocean postponed his New York show with the hope of salvaging the rest of his debut solo tour and his million-dollar voice. Fans who showed up to the Bowery early got a free hat.
• Drake’s eagerly-awaited sophomore album Take Care leaked this week to rave reviews proving once and for all that music is... [Read more]
This year’s MTV Video Music Awards show was mind-bogglingly strange and wonderful with a number of classy (I never thought I would see that word in the same sentence as MTV either) moments that together made for a more memorable experience than some of the other more hideous awards shows that have been making the rounds lately. Some of the highlights included Beyonce’s nonchalant unveiling of her baby bump after her performance, Tyler the Creator’s Best New Artist win and prof... [Read more]