You hear them at karaoke bars, on mixed tapes, and on the easy listening stations. They're burned into your mind, which is sometimes annoying and sometimes perfect. Classic love songs can be grating when you're not in the mood, but when you're feeling sentimental, they're just what you need. So if you're on a date, it's your anniversary, or you're trying to impress your valentine, maybe give one of these tried and true songs a try. You won't get any points for originality, but they can definitely work in mysterious ways...
(10) When a Man Loves a Woman - Memorably recorded by Percy Sledge and Michael Bolton (who won a Grammy Award for it), the selling point of this song is the powerful belting when it's performed.
Source: YouTube, Michael Bolton - When A Man Loves A Woman
(9) Unchained Melody - Known by many as "that song from Ghost," this one achieved greatness with the Righteous Brothers version. If Simon Cowell thinks it is the perfect song, it's gotta be good.
Source: YouTube, Righteous Brothers - UNCHAINED MELODY - GHOST
(8) The Power of Love - Celine Dion has made her career with some of the sappiest, most touching love songs ever recorded. Out of all of them, this one takes the cake, I think.
Source: YouTube, Celine Dion - The Power Of Love
(7) I Swear - Several famous love songs originated as country tunes, but would you believe this is one of them? All 4 One's definitive version netted them a 1995 Grammy for Best Pop Performance by a Duo or Group with Vocal.
Source: YouTube, I Swear (Official Music Video) - All 4 One
(6) Endless Love - Lionel Richie and Diana Ross make a powerhouse combination in this heart explosion of a song, the very pinnacle of shmaltz.
Source: YouTube, Endless Love - Diana Ross & Lionel Richie
(5) Can't Take My Eyes Off You - Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons were churning out swoon-worthy performances and sweet love songs before boy bands were a thing, and even solo, Frankie proved he had the power to melt hearts everywhere with this innovative, dynamic song.
Source: YouTube, Frankie Valli - Can't Take My Eyes off You
(4) Kiss from a Rose - Seal really takes the poetry of lyrics to another level, and his mysterious yet comforting vibe lends itself well to this profound ballad.
Source: YouTube, Seal - Kiss from a Rose
(3) Can't Get Enough of Your Love, Babe - In the arena of frisky "love" songs, you can't deny that this is the standard. You gotta give it to Barry White--he really helps people get it done.
Source: YouTube, Barry White - Can't get enough of your Love, Babe
(2) Wonderful Tonight - This was my prom song and I know it wasn't just my high school. Thank you, Eric Clapton.
Source: YouTube, Eric Clapton - Wonderful Tonight (LIVE) (HQ 16:9)
(1) I Will Always Love You - No surprises here; combine the writing talent of Dolly Parton, the voice of a generation in Whitney Houston, and the eminently romantic movie The Bodyguard, and you've got the perfect storm of love song domination.
Source: YouTube, Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You
Want to add to the list? Let us know your favorite (or least favorite) overplayed love songs in the comments!