Around New Years each year I’m reminded of my impending mortality. I feel like 20-somethings today exist in a sort of purgatory between college and settling down where they’re trying to clutch onto their carefree, waning past with roots firmly planted in a 9 to 5. And I mean I’m practically on the brink of 30.
It’s a time where your drink of choice abruptly transitions from Keystone light to red wine but you still feel the need to prove that you can chug like a pro. Where a raging night out morphs into a chill night in with some cheese that you looked up on The American Cheese Society and a nice import. Because you can totally afford that funky Belgian ale gathering dust at the bodega down the street. And you slowly, painfully watch your bedtime dwindle from the crack of dawn to 10 PM because, "Man, I got work tomorrow! I can’t be dealin’ with this garbage - I gotz bills to pay! "
Yes, yes I'm still young but a far cry from the phat JNCOs, chunky Doc Martins and chain wallets I so desperately tried to pull off in high school. To ward off the mid-mid-life crisis I escape to an imaginary world where my drink of choice was a crude, syrupy mixture of Jolt and Surge, a raging night out included a bike, my favorite mix tape and the open road and bedtime translated into a rope out the window.
The easiest way for me to travel back in time is to pop in some headphones and imagine my favorite one-hit wonders live in concert.Here is my all-star lineup, in no particular order, of 90s one-hit-wonders who, after their beginners luck, crashed and burned on radio waves:
- Biz Markie - "Just a Friend"
- Deee-Lite - "Groove is in the Heart"
- Londonbeat - "I've Been Thinking About You"
- Blind Melon - "No Rain"
- 4 Non Blondes - "What's Up?"
- Snow - "Informer"
- Digable Planets - "Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)
- Crash Test Dummies - "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm"
- Deep Blue Something - "Breakfast at Tiffanys"
- The Verve Pipe - "The Freshman"
- Meredith Brooks - "Bitch"
- The Verve - "Bittersweet Symphony"
- Marcy Playground - "Sex and Candy"
- Haddaway - "What is Love"
- Des'ree - "You Gotta Be"
- The Breeders - "Cannonball"
- The Proclaimers - "500 Miles
- Harvey Danger - "Flagpole Sitta"
- Suzanne Vegas - "Tom's Diner"
- Big Audio Dynamite II - "Rush"
- House of Pain - "Jump Around "
- Ini Kamoze - "Here Comes the Hotstepper"
- Fiona Apple - "Criminal"
- OMC - "How Bizarre"
- Shawn Colvin - "Sunny Came Home"
- Sister Hazel - "All For You"
- Tonic - "If you Could Only See"
- New Radicals - "You Get What You Give"
- Len - "Steal My Sunshine "
- Spacehog - "In The Meantime "
If a zombie apocalypse were to rise up in 2012 I think I’d be okay with this list being my soundtrack as I morph into an expert zombie-hunter. Or maybe I’d settle for Van Halen’s "Jump" on repeat, either way I’m kickin’ some butt. What were we talking about again? Ah yes, what are your favorite one hit wonders of the 90s?