In space, no one can hear you squeam...So ronery...My precious...
• The official trailer for Ridley Scott’s Alien spin-off Prometheus surfaced. No aliens appear but there’s plenty of devastation and a tagline that reads “They went looking for our beginning, what they found could be our end." Looks intense.
• Notoriously unstable couple Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel reportedly got engaged.
• Nobody doubted Julianne Moore’s ability to take on Tina Fey’s definitive portrait of former Republican Vice Presidential candidate Sarah Palin, but the real surprise in this trailer for the HBO film Game Change is Ed Harris taking on John McCain’s very life-like hairpiece.
• Green Goblin James Franco is in talks to play Playboy founder Hugh Hefner following reports that he got a D in his acting class at NYU.
• The first six minutes of Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight Rises leaked online, followed by the official trailer for the film. The preview features an airplane prisoner heist of a masked man that ends with one plane dragging the fuselage of another in mid-air. The footage from the trailer also looks fairly expensive.
• It was revealed that Chinese hackers had been stealing Asian policy information from the US Chamber of Commerce for quite a long time by such ingenious means as a bugged thermostat. The scheme was exposed when one of the Chamber’s printers spontaneously began printing in Chinese.
• North Korea’s Supreme Leader, the dictator Kim Jong Il died this week, leaving his sham government to his son Kim Jong Un. Vice Magazine highlights the deranged system he left behind in its three-part series, North Korean Film Madness.
• The first look at Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings prequel The Hobbit re-introduces Bilbo Baggins, this time as the central character narrating a story about his younger years to Frodo. The two, it turns out, have much more in common than gnarly feet.